Rules & Regulations
- Scripts must be 80 minutes or more in length.
- Entry deadline is September 15th, 2021 at 23:59 MST.
- The script must be written in English.
- The script must be original. Adaptations of other works will not be accepted.
- Musicals will not be accepted.
- Copyright remains with the author.
The script must be accompanied by a non-refundable $25.00 CDN entry fee.
- The competition is open to all residents of Canada.
- Scripts that have been entered in other playwriting competitions are eligible.
- Scripts that have gone through a workshop or been given public readings are eligible.
- Scripts that have a planned production at the time of submission are NOT eligible.
- Scripts that have been produced professionally are NOT eligible. Plays that have been commissioned are NOT eligible. (Any public performance, in which production members were paid beyond an honorarium, will be considered a professional production).
- Staff of Fire Exit Theatre and those involved in the administration of the competition are NOT eligible.
Jurors & Winners
- Adjudication will be completed by three independent jurors. The jurors’ decisions are final. All scripts will be judged anonymously. Identity of the playwrights is withheld from jurors until final winners are decided.
- Winners will be notified when the jury process is complete.
- Winners agree to allow Fire Exit Theatre to use their name and play title in promotion of the Scripts on Fire New Play Competition.
- First Prize: $500, a workshop and staged reading. (Fire Exit Theatre will have the option for inaugural production as a part of their 2022-2021 season).
- Honourable Mentions: A prize of $200 may be awarded for Honourable Mention (up to 2 per competition).
Script Submission Requirements
- The script must be received by the deadline.
- The script must be submitted through the Scripts on Fire New Play Competition website submission form.
- Scripts formatting should be:
- PDF format only and under 25MB
- The PDF must be portrait 8.5" x 11". No booklet formats
- Font: Arial, Times Roman or similar
- Font size: 10 to 12 points
- Play title and page number must appear on the top of each page
- Text should be double-spaced between speaking parts
- No reference to the playwright should appear anywhere in the script – including on the title and cover page.
- Scripts will be destroyed following the competition unless permission has been granted by the playwright for Fire Exit Theatre to retain a copy.
For further information, contact Val Lieske, Managing Artistic Director, Fire Exit Theatre, at firstname.lastname@example.org